Professor Paul G Winyard
Peninsula Medical School
St Luke's Campus
University of Exeter
Exeter EX1 2LU
I am investigating the generation - and effects of - reactive species of oxygen, nitrogen and sulfur in human diseases with a chronic inflammatory component, such as inflammatory joint disease and cardiovascular disease. In particular, I have focused my research on the translation of novel therapeutic strategies – as well as free radical assays using physicochemical methods - to pre-clinical and early-phase clinical studies. Recent research interests have centred on two inter-related areas: first, the measurement and mechanisms of nitric oxide and hydrogen sulphide generation in human inflamed tissues and, secondly, antioxidant systems and redox-regulated cell signalling in inflammatory joint disease.
Selected Recent Publications
- Lansley KE, Winyard PG, Fulford J, Vanhatalo A, Bailey SJ, Blackwell JR, DiMenna FJ, Gilchrist M, Benjamin N, Jones AM. Dietary nitrate supplementation reduces the O2 cost of walking and running: a placebo-controlled study. J Appl Physiol 2011; 110: 591-600.
- Vanhatalo A, Bailey SJ, Blackwell JR, DiMenna FJ, Pavey TG, Wilkerson DP, Benjamin N, Winyard PG, Jones AM. Acute and chronic effects of dietary nitrate supplementation on blood pressure and the physiological responses to moderate-intensity and incremental exercise. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2010; 299: R1121-R1131.
- Whiteman M, Haigh R, Tarr JM, Gooding KM, Shore AC, Winyard PG. Detection of hydrogen sulfide in plasma and knee-joint synovial fluid from rheumatoid arthritis patients: relation to clinical and laboratory measures of inflammation. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2010; 1203: 146-150.
- Bailey SJ, Winyard PG, Vanhatalo A, Blackwell JR, Dimenna FJ, Wilkerson DP, Tarr J, Benjamin N, Jones AM. Dietary nitrate supplementation reduces the O2 cost of low-intensity exercise and enhances tolerance to high-intensity exercise in humans. J Appl Physiol 2009; 107: 1144-1155.
- Winyard PG, Knight IA, Shaw FL, Rocks SA, Davies CA, Eggleton P, Haigh R, Whiteman M, Benjamin N. Determination of S-nitrosothiols in biological and clinical samples using electron paramagnetic resonance spectrometry with spin trapping. Methods in Enzymology 2008; 441: 151-160