Carlos C. Romão, PhD, Organometallic Chemistry
Professor of Chemistry
Instituto de Tecnologia Química e Biológica
Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Av da República, EAN,
2780-157, Oeiras, Portugal
Tel: +351 214469751
Fax: +351 214411277
- Development of CO Releasing Molecules (CORMs), transition metal based prodrugs for the therapeutic delivery of CO for the treatment of inflammatory diseases. Characterization of the interactions of CORMs with biological molecules and media.
- Co-founder of the start-up company Alfama Inc. which leads the IP of CORMs.
Selected Recent Publications
- T. Santos-Silva, A. Mukhopadhyay, J. D. Seixas, G. J. L. Bernardes, C. C. Romão, M. J. Romão. CORM-3 Reactivity toward Proteins: The Crystal Structure of a Ru(II) Dicarbonyl−Lysozyme Complex. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2011, 133, 1192-1195.
- A. C. Pena, N. Penacho, L. Mancio-Silva, R. Neres, J. D. Seixas, A. C. Fernandes, C. C. Romão, M. M. Mota, G. J. Bernardes, and A. Pamplona. A novel Carbon Monoxide-Releasing Molecule (CO-RM) fully protects mice from Severe Malaria. Antimicrob Agents Chemother, 2012, 56, 1281-1290
- C. C. Romão, W. A. Blattler, João D. Seixas and G. J. L. Bernardes. Developing drug molecules for therapy with carbon monoxide. Chem. Soc. Rev. 2012, 41, 3571-3583.
- A. R. Marques,L. Kromer, D. J. Gallo, N. M. Penacho, S. S. Rodrigues, J. D. Seixas, G. J. L. Bernardes, P. M. Reis, S. L. Otterbein, R. A. Ruggieri, Ana S. G. Gonçalves, Ana M. L. Gonçalves, M.N. de Matos, I. Bento, L. E. Otterbein, W. A. Blättler, and C. C. Romão. Generation of carbon monoxide-releasing molecules (CO-RMs) as drug candidates for the treatment of acute liver injury: targeting of CO-RMs to the liver. Organometallics, 2012, 31, 5810-5822.
- J. D. Seixas, A. Mukhopadhyay, T. Santos-Silva, Leo E Otterbein, David J. Gallo, S. S. Rodrigues, B. H. Guerreiro, A. M. L. Gonçalves, N. Penacho, A. R. Marques, A. C. Coelho, P. M. Reis, Maria J. Romão and C. C. Romão. Characterization of a versatile organometallic pro-drug (CORM) for experimental CO based therapeutics. Dalton Trans. 2013, DOI: 10.1039/C2DT32174B, in press